Saturday, May 21, 2011

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver REVIEW

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
Not in a series
Release date: March 2nd, 2010
Published by Harper Collins
Format: Hardcover, 470 pages
Source: Library
Summary from Goodreads:
What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?
Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High-from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.
Instead, it turns out to be her last.
Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death-and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

Review:

Sam is a popular girl that dies on February 12th, or Cupid Day. In fact, she dies 7 times. And she gets 7 chances to really learn the value of life.

I wasn't sure about this book when I started reading it. It seemed like any other book about a snobby girl craving popularity. I couldn't help being annoyed with Sam because she only cared about how many roses she had on Cupid Day or whether she'd do the deed with Rob. She didn't see all the nice people in her school because her friends were brainwashing her.

But during the middle, I got a little more into it. It was inspiring to read the transformation and how much mature Sam came to be, during the 5th time she had to relive February the 12th as well as seeing her gain more courage throughout the book, fearless and trying to live out her remaining days of her life without any regrets. She came to treasure and value her family more, and she even made a couple of new friends that on any average day, she would completely ignore, or even make fun of. It was tragic to read the ending, since Sam had to sacrifice herself to save someone else.

The writing was brilliant. I enjoyed this book, but there wasn't enough pizazz for me to say that I loved this book. In fact, I think Sam reliving February the 12th seven times was a bit too much, there could have been some days that the author could've taken out, particularly at the beginning, since it was there that I became really frustrated and annoyed with Sam's character. The ending wasn't all that great, I know that the ending was supposed to leave me feeling wow'ed and touched and shocked all at the same time, but honestly, it just didn't do it for me.

Rating: 3/5

Cover: 4/10

Character(s) I liked: Kent, Izzy, Sam

Character(s) I disliked: Sam, Rob

First Sentence: They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me.

What the author's up to:

Blog//Facebook//Myspace//Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

What good is a comment box if it's not used?